Tips and tricks for Achilles tendon rehabilitation.
Sean Lee NSCA -CSCS, NASM -CPT, ACE
Do you have any Achilles tendon rehabilitation exercise suggestions?
- Always allow time to warm up thoroughly with a low impact exercise such as the stationary bicycle or treadmill walking for five to 10 minutes.
- Stretch your calf muscles thoroughly after warming up.
- Perform active range of motion exercises daily. For example, writing the letters of the alphabet with your toes. This will assist in maintaining and enhancing flexibility and range of motion.
- Perform all resistance training exercises in a slow and controlled manner. Focus on form and movement quality.
- Cardiovascular exercise should be progressed slowly as well beginning with low impact exercise first.
- Plyometric exercise is contraindicated for the first month of training, but can and should be slowly integrated with low volume and intensity.
- After exercise allow five to 10 minutes for a cool-down. This is an appropriate time to statically stretch the calf muscles holding for 10-30 seconds.
- Place ice on the Achilles tendon after training sessions for 15-20 minutes. This will assist in the decrease of post exercise inflammation and soreness.