In honor of those competing in the Marine Corps Marathon on the 25th, here are the top 25 ways that you know you log your miles in the nation’s capital. Good luck on Marathon Sunday and treat yourself to a nice Jumbo Slice in Adams Morgan after the race.
You Know You’re a DC Runner If…
- You’ve had to change your running route because of a motorcade.
- You have made tourist-dodging on the Tidal Basin for the six days each year the cherry blossoms are in bloom.
- Your idea of a hill is the slope up towards the Washington monument.
- You’ve had to share the towpath with beavers, blue heron, snakes, and dogs.
- You’ve bought shoes from the mayor’s parents at their Fleet Feet store.
- You’ve been beaten in a race by a member of every branch of the Armed Forces
- You set your Outlook to remind you when the Cherry Blossom 10 Miler opens for registration.
- You miss The Awakening.
- You race the donkeys pulling their barges up the canal.
- Gravelly Point’s more than a romantic destination.
- You know that the Capital Crescent Trail on the weekend is like the beltway at rush hour.
- Your Lawyers Have Heart.
- You can spot a lobbyist 100 ft. away by the blue glow of their earpieces.
- You’ve drafted off a Segway.
- You’ve experienced path-rage on the Capital Crescent Trail.
- You have a nagging fear that someday the snipers on top of the White House might get you.
- You’ve gotten lost on the trails in Rock Creek Park
- You’ve had to alter your route for the protest of a cause that you didn’t even know existed.
- Your music has been drowned out by Marine One.
- You’ve stopped mid-run to check your Blackberry.
- Your iPod has more musing than music.
- You’ve trekked through Virginia, DC, and Maryland on a weekend run.
- You’ve been stopped to take a family photo in front of a monument.
- You’ve then been asked by the aforementioned family for directions to another monument or memorial.
- No matter how many times you do it, running around the National Mall still gives you goosebumps.
Get your tunes ready for the Marine Corps!